Sunday, August 19, 2012

What is this so called "real world"?

What is the real world? Daddy and I got into a debate today about me wanting to leave Chattanooga in order to pursue my dreams of what I hope to be a happier life. He believes that there's no better place than a home in Chattanooga. And that this so called "Real World" is going to knock me back on the ground because I'm naive.

I happen to disagree. I believe there is so much more for me than this one horse town of Chattanooga. Especially since I'm not happy here and I don't see myself being happy here. Or seeing myself staying here in general. But that leaves the "real world" to knock me down. Well..what is it?

I must be missing a link to the puzzle. I see the "Real World" as nothing more than paying bills, raising a family, working until retirement, and realizing the world isn't a friendly place where nothing bad ever happens. Well, I may just be naive and not realizing it..but I think I've my taste of this real world. I pay bills. I work for a living. I raise my son. And may I be frank, but I've had my share of bad things to happen to me to realize the world is not a friendly place. And if that's all this "Real World" is, it's going to take a lot more than money going out the door and owning up to my responsibilities to scare me.

What do you think? What is the real world to you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to lie, being out on your own at first is scary. Even now, I still stress about it because if the littlest thing changes, we would be on the streets.

    I'm not sure what he was trying to tell you, but I think he's going for this... right now, you are getting a taste of the real world. Once you are out on your own, it will be even tougher (but keep in mind that it will be rewarding as well). And when you move to a place away from everyone and everything you know, you have nothing to fall back on say if you lost your job or your baby sitter fell through or something like that. I think that's what he's going for.

    It will be rough, and if you are in a place where you have no one you know, that just makes it harder, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it. If you are certain that is what will make you happy, then you will find a way to make it work. You are a strong girl, and I'm sure that you can do whatever you set your mind to.

    Also, keep in mind that you and Cayle leaving is probably one of his biggest fears. I can't imagine Grace or Brentley and my grandchildren moving thousands of miles away after living under my roof their entire lives. That is probably a terrifying thought for him, so at this point, he's probably trying to think of ways to convince you to stay here.

    ReplyDelete