Friday, May 4, 2012

I got it.!!

I got the job.! But getting there was TOUGH. Originally my plan was to work at the Regis salon in Northgate Mall. That's where my instructor was sending me. She even talked to the manager (Mandi) over there. But when I went online to put in my application there was only one listing for a Regis salon hiring in Chattanooga. So I assumed it was the one for Northgate. Well, the next day I get a call from a woman named Terry asking me to come in Friday for an interview. I assumed it was the assistant or district manager. Well, the time came for my interview (which I thought was at northgate) and the receptionist told me that Terry works at HAMILTON PLACE. I was completely mortified. I thought I had blown my chances completely of my dream salon. So the receptionist at Northgate had me set up a time to talk to Mandi. So I did. Only because I was in such a panic thinking Terry wouldn't interview me. I called Terry explaining to her what had happened and asked if I could still come in for an interview. Luckily she was very understanding and asked if I could make it there in 20 minutes. When I finally got there we got right down to business. She asked me about how much longer I had to go until I graduate, what I felt like my strong points were, if there was anything I didn't enjoy certain procedures, if I could work nights and weekends. She also asked if I would be interested in doing some receptionist work until I got my license. Of course I was interested.! I want to learn the ropes of Regis before I just dive in. Anyway..she gave me some magazines to look at to keep me up on the latest hair trends. I really like Terry. We ended the interview with the promise of a call from her about her decision. I was really nervous.

The rest of the day was spent with Cayle and Kay's brother in law Justin at his house. We didn't do much. Just rested. And I cut his hair and paced the floor hoping for a call. And at 5 I did. And she said she wants to start me as a receptionist until I got my license. Then with my license I can bump up to a stylist. I couldn't have been happier. So I posted on facebook that I got the job. Then..this is when the trouble starts..The manager of northgate commented on the post and said 'Ummm...where?' I told her Hamilton place hired me. But I felt horrible. I feel like I betrayed her. And I hate doing that to people. So I sent her a message apologizing for the mix up and thanking her for her time and that I hope there wouldn't be any friction between us for this situation. She said that if I had waited and come to see her on Monday she would've hired me. But she wished me the best. I still feel pretty lousy about that. I wish I could think of something to make peace with this situation. I would like to maybe send her a card or something apologizing for the mix up.

But the benefits of this job are going to be great.! I get 8% of my retail. Wage is minimum wage. And I get a commission for the work I do. I get insurance (health, dental, and vision). I get a 401k. My uniform is black white or grey, no jeans, and closed toe shoes. And they do contests every so often to where if you sell enough of the Regis line products you get a vacation to awesome places.! California anyone.? We have classes quarterly to teach us new ways to color, cut, style. And they're free.! Mandatory as well. Terry also explained that everyone is willing to help any stylist in need. And to not be alarmed if someone else is watching me work. I like that it's not every stylist for themselves. Fresh out of beauty school..I still have a lot to learn. A rule at the salon is that my hair and make up must be done before coming into work. Which is fair enough to me. I can also get over time any time I want it. As long as I cover my schedule and there is a station available. Everyone helps with trash and towels. But my job is to answer the phone, book appointments, assign clients, and to collect money. I'm so very excited. It feels like all my work has paid off. I've got everything panning out. I'm gonna keep staying positive and hope for the best. I have to perform a hair cut for my boss when it's time to bump up to a stylist position. I suppose to assess my skill level. I'm pretty nervous about that one. I can't help but be a little overwhelmed with the transition I'm going through, but you know what.? I am so proud of myself. I'm going to have my career in my dream salon. I cannot be happier. Even though there was a few bumps getting there..it all seems to be worth it. I hope I make some friends while working here and maybe even meet some new people. I start in two weeks. Wish me luck. Here goes nothing.!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, look at it this way... you had both Regis' competing for you. You are just THAT awesome!! Lol.
    Still so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete